This summer my husband happened to being doing various projects that required wood and had a number of scraps left over. He always likes to clean it all up and burn the scraps but after a little begging he agreed to let me use the scraps for my own projects. I have a hard time throwing things away when there are such good uses for them yet and of course I’m always thinking of ways to make something new while not spending a whole lot of money.
With the scrap pieces of wood I decided to make a summer festive piece that sported our Country. Gotta love the red, white, and blue! I painted each board a different color. I used spray paint for this project and did apply two coats to ensure I had a solid finish. I didn’t paint the back side but you can if you decide to attach them to a steak.
While I waited for the base paint to dry I gathered my other materials. I gathered two sets of hook and eyes (in the future I would use 4, because I had problems with the wind twisting my boards around), thick wire, fence post staples, and a burlap bow. Make sure to get hook and eyes that will stay together when placed vertically and are easy to screw in or tack onto boards.
I let the boards dry for a day before adding the letters because I used stencils and masking take to create the letters (sorry I do not have pictures of this). Once I placed the stencils and covered any areas I didn’t want painted with masking tape I carefully spray painted the letters. Make sure to avoid over spraying to prevent the paint from dripping or smudging under the stencil. I wanted to mix things up on the USA so I sprayed diagonals of blue and white. I didn’t use anything to make straight lines on the diagonals because I wanted the paint to blend a little for looks. I also removed the stencils and tape from the boards immediately because I didn’t want the stencils to stick to the boards (be extra careful while removing tape and stencils over wet paint).
Once the letters had dried I hand painted “the” in the appropriate place and began adding the hook and eyes to their designated spots. I didn’t accurately measure placement of the hook and eye because I wanted it to tilt a little. To attach the wire at the top I hammered in two fence post staples and wrapped the wire around. After it was all assembled and dry I added a burlap bow that I had for a little extra touch. Finally I hung it next to our side door for all to enjoy on their way past our home.